If you are like me, you see zucchini everywhere, but are unsure about it for a few reasons. Like first off is it a fruit or a vegetable? How healthy is it? And what are some tasty recipes that I can make with it?
Well it is botanically a fruit. However, in gastronomic terms, it is considered to be a vegetable. So its both!
Now this could be the best part about zucchini - IT IS SO HEALTHY! And better yet low in calories! 1 medium sized zucchini has just 25 calories in it, making it an ideal stomach-filler for those trying to lose weight.
Here is a quick glance at the Nutritional Value of Zucchini
Given below is the amount of nutrients present in 135 gm, raw zucchini:
Protein: 1.4 gm
- Carbohydrate: 3.6 gm
- Total Fat: 0.17 gm
- Fiber: 1.5 gm
- Vitamin C: 11 mg
Here are some of the Health Benefits of Zucchini :
Zucchini helps cure asthma, as it contains Vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties.
The vegetable is known to help prevent diseases like scurvy and bruising, caused by the deficiency of vitamin C.
- Regular intake of zucchini effectively lowers high homocysteine levels in the human body.
- The vegetable can help prevents risk of having multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Zucchinis have high water content (over 95%), high nutritious value and contain a very low amount of calories, so they make the perfect snack item for people on diet.
- The vegetable contains useful amounts of folate, potassium, and vitamin A, necessary for proper functioning of the human body.
- Zucchini contains Vitamin C and lutein, both of which are known to be good for the eyes.
- The vegetable is a good source of vitamin B6, riboflavin, manganese and a lot of other nutrients.
- Eating zucchini is known to help the body in supporting the arrangement of capillaries.
- Regular consumption of the vegetable can help protect the body against colon cancer.
- Zucchini is believed to be beneficial in preventing heart disease and related symptoms, such as high cholesterol.
- The rind of zucchini contains the nutrient beta-carotene, which is known to be full of antioxidant properties and thus, helps protect cells against oxidation damage.
- The vegetable proves to be a good source of magnesium and phosphorus, the nutrients essential for building and maintaining healthy bones.
- Zucchini is rich in vitamin C, another powerful antioxidant that can provide protection against cardiovascular disease.
Ok now that we know how RIDICULOUSLY healthy zucchini is for us -- LETS EAT IT!
www.EatingWell.com Has many AMAZING, yummy, and really healthy recipes that are easy to follow. My favorite for zucchini is the fresh Garden Pizza!
The Entire recipe and Nutrition facts is found here:
Now you know why should eat zucchini, and how to eat it now all you have to do is go out and get some!
Don't worry your FAVORITE Farm- The Farm at Broad Run-has Fresh Picked Zucchini available!!! Come on down and pick some up!
See you at the Farm